Website Bethesda Church
Job Description for Senior Pastor
Prepared by the Bethesda Church Pastoral Search Team
January 26, 2022
The Senior Pastor is called by the membership of Bethesda Church. He serves as the primary preacher and staff leader. The focus of his teaching will be to build up and equip the body of believers at Bethesda Church to do the work of Jesus Christ. His passion to know and glorify God should be apparent through his leadership and love of the staff and congregation.
We are seeking a man who has a proven record of being a theologically sound Bible-based teacher. This man should be an accomplished and effective communicator who is both relational and relatable. He will need to be a man with the ability to cast a unifying vision for Bethesda Church. We are looking for a pastor who is skilled at empowering members to serve in roles of leadership within the body of Christ. He shall also be a man who is sensitive to the power of prayer in our personal lives and in a corporate context.
- have a vital and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- demonstrate a consistent spiritual and moral character and lifestyle, fulfilling the biblical leadership qualification of an elder described in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
- together with his wife (if married), become members of Bethesda Church and be genuinely involved in the fellowship and ministry of the congregation.
- be in agreement with the doctrinal statements of Bethesda Church, including the Statement of Faith, the Constitution, and the Mission Statement.
- have earned at least a Bachelor’s Degree in a Biblical field of study, preferably from a Bible-based institution.
have worked in, or can demonstrate the ability to lead in, a multi-staff environment.
- preferably have a minimum of 5 years pastoral work experience.
- be licensed by the Central District of the Mennonite Brethren Church.
As the shepherd of the flock, he will:
- be the primary communicator of God’s Word.
- equip, exhort, and nurture God’s people.
- extend to others the characteristics of warmth, friendliness, empathy and sincerity: exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
- seek Spirit-led opportunities for evangelism and outreach.
- give overall direction for the public worship services.
- be available for pastoral counsel to those who seek spiritual guidance.
- do visitations, while encouraging others to be active in pastoral care.
- officiate at weddings, funerals, and baptisms.
- oversee the administration of communion.
- participate in the conferences and ministries of the United States Conference of Mennonite Brethren and the Mennonite Brethren Central District.
- represent Bethesda Church and minister to the Huron community.
- encourage involvement in local, national, and international missions.
- provide unifying vision and leadership to Bethesda Church.
- motivate and train the Church to identify and utilize their spiritual giftedness.
- keep in regular communication with the congregation through church publications, emails, and other media forms.
- work with the leadership teams to organize and oversee the implementation of ministry objectives.
- work with the chairman of the Elders to develop meeting agendas and will serve as a voting member.
- meet with the Deacons and provide perspective or counsel as needed.
- host regularly scheduled pastoral and administrative staff meetings.
- supervise the pastoral, ministerial, and administrative staff.
- assist with annual reviews of pastoral and ministerial staff.
He is accountable to God, the elders, and the congregation for his pastoral ministry, personal integrity, and spiritual maturity.
Resumes and questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the following:
Bethesda Church Pastoral Search Team
1530 Frank Ave. SE
Huron SD 57350
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com